The East Texas Police Academy at Kilgore College will host a class this month open to the public where law enforcement officials will teach how to drive in emergency situations.
The class is set for Oct. 23-24 at the driving track at the Spear Training Facility, located at 1810 CR 174E in Kilgore.
“This class will cover multiple areas of driving instruction including vehicle physics and defensive driving techniques using several courses,” said Joe Cassin, director of the ETPA. “Although it’s geared toward law enforcement officials, we are thrilled to be able to open this up to the public to give the public knowledge about safe driving techniques.”
Participants in the course must be at least 18 years of age and must possess a valid driver’s license.
Cost of the course is $200.
Also, participants will use their own vehicles and must possess valid automobile insurance. No trucks or top-heavy vehicles are allowed and no more than two registered drivers are allowed per vehicle.
For information or to register for the course, call (903) 983-8663.
- Vehicle pre-driving inspections & maintenance
- Vehicle physics and handling characteristics
- Common sense and defensive driving techniques
Driving track courses will include:
- Threshold braking course
- Serpentine course
- Evasive lane change course
- Box course
- Backing course
- Highway course
Supplies needed and other restrictions:
- 18 Years or older
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess valid automobile insurance for the car being used
- No trucks or top-heavy vehicles
- No more than two registered drivers per vehicle
- Must have your own vehicle insurance
- Participants provide their own vehicle, fuel, tires, etc.
- Lunch will be on your own. A refrigerator and microwave are available if desired, or you can go to town to eat.