• Tunesday – Every Tuesday in April and May 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the World’s Richest Acre
• April 19–26 and April 26-27 – Early Voting at Kilgore City Hall
• April 24 – Kilgore Cruise Night Downtown – 5 to 8 p.m.
• April 29 – Kilgore Area Chamber Pink Ladies Women in Business Event – Texan Theater 6 to 8:30 p.m.
• May 1 – Election Day
• Early Voting at Kilgore City Hall continues through April 27 (not including the weekend). May 1 is Election Day.
• Final inspection and tests were completed for the fire alarm system and sprinklers at the Texan. No more fire watch will be needed for events!
PUBLIC WORKS AND PROJECTS
• Shredding of the Green Waste site has been completed by the outside contractor.
• Parks is working on forming cart path extensions at Meadowbrook Golf and Event Center.
• SWTP improvements are 50 percent complete. The new caustic tank has been installed.
• The contractor has mobilized to Industrial Boulevard for utility improvements.
• Mowing is in full swing. The dead bushes have been removed downtown, and plantings are being scheduled.
• This was the first month of single month utility billing. A misprint on the bill created some confusion regarding the due date, but our customer service reps are clarifying for our citizens. The due date is the end of the month.
• We have issued over $5,000 in winter storm leak forgiveness credits.
• Interim Rescue Chief Ryan Riley has officially taken over the Rescue Chief’s position. We all have complete confidence that Chief Riley will do a fantastic job leading us through this transition!
• The Fire Department will be hosting a new hire test May 24 to attempt to fill our last three open positions. This test will be for part-time and full-time employees.
• KPD and Fire participated in the recent youth bike rodeo which was held at the trail system. KPD staff operated a fingerprint station that was set up to take children’s fingerprints for their parents.
• A Detective assisted UT Tyler Criminal Justice program with an interactive mock crime scene for students.
• Several staff members attended the annual Chief’s Conference in Fort Worth. During the annual awards banquet, KPD was recognized for its second successful Re-Recognition in the Texas Recognition Program. We’ve been recognized in this accreditation program since 2013.
• KPD held an assessment center for the Corporal’s promotion. Their process consisted of a written resume, written test and an Assessment Board made up of staff from similar-sized agencies. We had three applicants pass. Promotions will occur at a date and time to be announced.
• Over six methamphetamine arrests have occurred over the last few weeks. One bust resulted in the seizure of 80 grams on one individual.
QUALITY OF LIFE
• Staff has received several applications for the part-time Special Event Coordinator position. The City of Kilgore is still excepting applications. Visit www.cityofkilgore.com for a job description and application to apply. Interviews will begin in a couple of weeks.
• New addresses for all of the Creekside Trailheads have been assigned.
• Staff has received a final copy of the Comp Plan to review before final printing.
• Freese and Nichols has begun a review of the Development Code and Staff will receive a summary outlining necessary changes to the code.
• Permit has been issued for the new Dollar General Store on Stone Road.
• Utzman Street curb and gutter has been repaired by the contractor and the final CO has been issued for 1016 N. Kilgore. St. – Quick Visit Urgent Care
• Summer Reading Program starts May 17.
• The library’s Children’s Hobby Fair had over 30 entries.