Taco Bueno open after accidental fire Saturday night


A cigarette could have been the reason for an accidental fire at Taco Bueno on North Kilgore Street Saturday night.

The minor fire was contained to a channel near the restaurant’s drive-thru where a lack of oxygen contained the fire to the wall and kept it from moving into the restaurant’s interior, Kilgore Fire Marshal Brandon Bigos said.

Building codes require buildings with a material that mimics the look of stucco with a Styrofoam core to go all the way down to the concrete or be caulked at the bottom to prevent insects and debris from getting trapped at the bottom.

That appears to be what happened in this case, Bigos said. The column where the fire was contained had a gap of less than an inch from the concrete that was exposed where debris had piled up and where a cigarette that was not properly extinguished could ignite the debris and then the Styrofoam in the material.

The Kilgore Fire Department was dispatched at 9:15 p.m. for the call at Taco Bueno that the store had filled with smoke.

The flames were contained to one area, and the restaurant opened for business Monday.

Firefighters were on scene until about 11:30 or 11:45 that night determining the cause and making sure the fire had been contained.

There will not be any fines for the gap by the concrete, but that gap will be sealed when it is reconstructed.

A Taco Bueno at the same location was heavily damaged by fire in 2006.


Special Sections