KC sees 3 percent enrollment drop, stays near 5,500


Despite a 200 student drop in enrollment compared to the fall 2016 semester, Kilgore College’s student population remains near the 5,700 mark.

According to Kilgore College’s snapshot for the fall 2017 semester, the college had 5,685 students enroll at the two-year institution. The number represents a 201 student drop from last year’s 5,886 student count, accounting for a 3.4 percent decrease.

Of the 5,685 students this year, nearly 4,000 – 3,929 specifically – were traditional students who are 22 years old or younger. Non-traditional students accounted for 1,756 of the total students during the 2017 fall semester.

A few more than 1,100 students were first-time-in-college students with 2,728 returning to KC.

High school dual credit students accounted for 1,561 of the total 5,685 students. The number represents a seven student increase from the 2016 fall semester. The snapshot does not include a breakdown of what high schools are included in the KC dual credit program.

More than half the students – 55.36 percent – were part-time students, while the remaining 44.64 percent were full-time students.

A quarter of the students enrolled in workforce majors with the other 75 percent studying in transfer majors. While the number of workforce majors decreased by 321 students, the transfer majors increased by 120.

The majority of students – 3,008 – attend KC from Gregg County with the remaining 36 percent coming from Rusk, Harrison, Upshur and Smith Counties.

Just as the majority of students live in Gregg County, 3,018 students attend classes at the Kilgore campus with 1,228 enrolled at the Longview campus. The students taking distance learning classes are 1,627 with 1,442 students participating in classes at their high schools. Some students attend classes at both campuses or in combination with distance learning, and are therefore counted multiple times, making the total of “enrollment by location” greater than the 5,685 total enrolled students.

Nearly 45 percent – 2,510 – of Kilgore College students received Pell grants, down by 54 students from the fall 2016 semester.

Of the total, 3,979 come from outside the Kilgore College service district to attend KC, while 1,522 are from in the seven school district area of Kilgore ISD, Sabine ISD, Gladewater ISD, White Oak ISD, Leverett’s Chapel ISD, Overton ISD and West Rusk County Consolidated ISD. Another 184 are from another state or country or their classification is unknown.


Special Sections