Candy collectors make final push for trick-or-treat contributions


Martha Fertitta’s candy call has a few days left: donations for Kilgore Main Street’s annual downtown Trick-or-Treat are due Friday.

So far, this year’s fundraising season has seen 25 donors contribute to the sweet stash, still several hundred dollars shy of past years – more funds can be directed to 903-983-2320 or 212 E. Main St.

Fertitta’s encouraged, though, by recent activity downtown: the past weekend saw the fourth annual Kilgore Oktoberfest draw a healthy turnout to the Main Street District alongside the hustle and bustle of St. Luke’s Family Fun Day.

“I think this weekend was wonderful. I think we had a good crowd, good participation,” said Fertitta, owner and operator of Main Street Flowers & More (and accomplished Chicken Dancer). “I think Halloween’s going to be even busier. Of course, it’s a different sort of event.”

The annual trick-or-treat draws several thousands people (children and adults) downtown in a relatively-short timespan: this year’s even begins at 4 p.m. on Halloween (Oct. 31 falls on a Tuesday) and continues until 6 p.m. or when the candy’s gone, whichever comes first.

“I think it’s going to be real good,” Fertitta said, watching local advertising circulars for discounts on candy so each participating retailer, restaurant, business, organization or individual will have ample stock to hand out on Main Street’s sidewalks.

Asking for contributions of $60 per participant, the longtime candy crusader noted a couple have chipped in up to $100.

It helps.

“I think we’re going to have to go up next year because the candy has gone up,” she said, making it harder to stretch the candy cash as much as she could in the past.

No worries, though: with $1,580 already in the Main Street candy coffer and a few days of fundraising less, she’s ready to put the money to work next week on shopping runs.