KILGORE FIRE DEPARTMENT SAFETY TIPS

10 Easy Ways to Prevent Electrical Hazards on the Jobsite

Posted

A weekly article that will offer information concerning the Kilgore Fire Department and provide safety tips for home and family.

• Have only licensed electricians install, repair and dismantle jobsite wiring. That way, everything will be completed according to electrical safety codes.

• Always plug into a GFCI. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter protection is required at every plug-in point associated with your jobsite’s temporary electrical supply - right down to the extension cords.

• Check each extension cord before use. Ensure thatinsulation is completely intact and that power extension cables haven’t been knotted, which can cause conductor damage and increasethe risk of fire.

• Do a thorough check for electrical wiring before cutting through any wall, floor or ceiling. Any time that a tool inadvertently makes contact with an unseen electrical line, the person holding that tool is likely to be shocked or electrocuted.

• Inspect power tools on a regular basis. Look over the tools’ power cords and plugs for any sign of damage to the insulation, blades, or grounding pin.

• Check insulated tools for damage before each use. Once the insulation layer of an insulated hand tool becomes nicked, cracked or cut, the tool is no longer effectively insulated - it actually becomes more of an electrical conductor, and can increase your risk of injury. If a tool has damaged insulation, it is no longer safe to use - destroy and replace it.

• Never modify electrical plugs. Under no circumstances should you ever file down the blades, remove the ground pin, or otherwise modify an electrical plug so that it will fit into a socket - doing so only increases the likelihood of shock, electrocution, and fire. Either have a certified electrician change the device’s plug or replace outdated two prong receptacles with grounded outlets that can accomodate a ground pin.

• Keep extension cords in a safe place where they won’t be stepped on or driven over. Theforce of a vehicle can cause an extension cord’s conductor to becom misshapen or break, a problem that can lead to electrical fires. Because it occurs in the core of the cable, conductor damage isn’t always obvious to the eye, so play it safe from the start by guarding jobsite extension cords with heavy duty cord covers.

• Ensure that all electrical components stay dry. It’s one of the cardinal rules of electrical safety: don’t mix electricity with water. Store power tools and cables above water level when not in use. Cover outdoor receptacles and never use electrically powered tools in a wet environment.

• Use the right extension cord for the job. Before you plug in, make sure that the wattage rating of the extension cord your’re using is greater than the pull of the equipment it’s powering. Using an extension cord to supply more wattage than it’s rated for can cause conductor strain, overheating, and possibly even fire.

Next week will be another article on electrical safety.

Stay S.A.F.F.E.,

* Parts of this article were reproduced from Department of Fire Services

Comments

Special Sections